-list of articles

The Scotland Guide
© David Williams


Pollokshields is a district in the south of Glasgow and for a short time it existed as a separate burgh outside the city. It was once part of the huge Pollok Estate which was owned by the Maxwell family and until the mid-nineteenth century this area was farmland.

With an increasing number of rich Glaswegians wanting to build spacious mansions, part of the Pollok estate was given over to a luxury housing development upwind of the city`s factories. What is now St Andrew`s Drive was constructed from 1851 onwards and gradually the area`s population increased, attaining burgh status in 1876.

The following articles give a description some of the places in the district.

Links to places in Pollokshields
Pollokshields Burgh Hall
Pollokshields Parish Church
Maxwell Park

Pollokshields Burgh Hall was built in 1888-90 but that role ceased in 1891 when the burgh was swallowed up by Glasgow.

The Scotland Guide: links
All areas
Special subjects
Scotland Help
Glasgow Help

The Scotland Bookshop: links
The Scotland Bookshop homepage
Books about the whole of Scotland
Bookshop Help