-Maxwell Park

The Scotland Guide
© David Williams


Land for the park was gifted by Sir John Stirling Maxwell of Pollok Estate and it was opened to the public in 1890. The ground was quite low lying and marshy so an extensive drainage system was built, allowing the water to gather in the pond on the western side of the park.

One of the park`s main features is the site of the former Hamilton Fountain; this no longer exists but the old basin of the fountain has been retained as the edging for a circular flower bed.

The former Pollokshields Burgh Hall stands at the edge of the park.

This article is based on the guidebook "The Glasgow Guide".

Maxwell Park is a peacefull haven; Pollokshields Burgh Hall is in the background.

List of Pollokshields articles:

The Scotland Guide: links
All areas
Special subjects
Scotland Help
Glasgow Help

The Scotland Bookshop: links
The Scotland Bookshop homepage
Books about the whole of Scotland
Bookshop Help