-Prince`s Dock

The Scotland Guide
© David Williams


1893-7, Clyde Navigation Trust

Prince`s Dock is in Govan on the south bank of the River Clyde. It was originally opened as the Cessnock Dock and its three basins had over 3km (2 miles) of quays. It was used for general cargoes and for loading heavy engines and boilers into recently launched ships. The hydraulically powered cranes and capstans were powered from the still-existing red brick Hydraulic Power Station. The docks were closed in the 1970s and partially filled to provide the site of the 1988 Glasgow Garden Festival. The Canting Basin (originally, the place where ships could turn round) at the western end was used as a marina during the exhibition.

This article is based on the guidebook "The Glasgow Guide".

This paddleboat is taking visitors for a trip round the dock`s Canting Basin during the 1988 Glasgow Garden Festival.

List of Govan articles:

The Scotland Guide: links
All areas
Special subjects
Scotland Help
Glasgow Help

The Scotland Bookshop: links
The Scotland Bookshop homepage
Books about the whole of Scotland
Bookshop Help