-Glasgow Green
- McLennan Arch

The Scotland Guide
© David Williams


1792, Robert & James Adam

The western entrance to Glasgow Green is marked by the grand McLennan Arch, which was, as inscribed high up, presented to his fellow citizens by Bailie James McLennan MP. The arch is dated MDCCCXCIII (1843) and it was originally the centrepiece of Robert Adams` Assembly Rooms in Ingram Street, which were demolished about 1890.

Since then, the arch has had two other resting places near Glasgow Green before it was moved here around 1990. It has four large Ionic columns and a wide central opening which originally framed a window in the Assembly Rooms. The two plaques above the smaller openings have figures which may possibly represent music and the muses.

This article is based on the guidebook "The Glasgow Guide".

The McLennan Arch stands at the Saltmarket entrance to the Green. The building behind it is The High Court of Justiciary.

List of Glasgow Green articles:
Glasgow Green

The Scotland Guide: links
All areas
Special subjects
Scotland Help
Glasgow Help

The Scotland Bookshop: links
The Scotland Bookshop homepage
Books about the whole of Scotland
Bookshop Help