-Glasgow Green
- Fleshers` Haugh

The Scotland Guide
© David Williams


The open space known as Fleshers` Haugh was once owned by the Incorporation of Fleshers (butchers). A haugh is a low-lying piece of ground near a river, and this particular site was sold to the city in 1792.

In 1746, during the Jacobite Rebellion, Charles Edward Stewart (or Bonnie Prince Charlie as the tourist industry prefers to call him) reviewed his troops here. The army stayed for ten days (their leader living at Shawfield Mansion) and successfully demanded that the city provide them with 12,000 shirts, 6000 coats, 6000 pairs of shoes, 6000 pairs of stockings, 6000 waistcoats and 6000 bonnets.

Another claim to fame for the haugh is that Glasgow Rangers Football Club had its origins here in 1873. A group of rowers, many of whom came from Gareloch (on the Firth of Clyde), played football here after spending the earlier part of the evenings on the river. They called themselves `Rangers`, and stayed here for two years before moving to various locations, eventually ending up at the site of their present stadium in 1899. This area is still used for football.

This article is based on the guidebook "The Glasgow Guide".

This open area is at the eastern end of the Green. Football pitches can be seen on the right. The tall multistorey flats are in the Gorbals, just across the River Clyde from the Green.

List of Glasgow Green articles:
Glasgow Green

The Scotland Guide: links
All areas
Special subjects
Scotland Help
Glasgow Help

The Scotland Bookshop: links
The Scotland Bookshop homepage
Books about the whole of Scotland
Bookshop Help